Orthodox Religious Authority
This is not a mere thing
which is given and taken in the conventional sense,
but rather it is a profound source of holiness
which has been bestowed directly by Heaven.
Three Holy Figures
Daesoon Jinrihoe originated when the Lord of Dao (Doju) Jo Jeongsan received a Heavenly command in 1909 through a divine revelation from the Supreme God (Sangje) Kang Jeungsan. Then he gained enlightenment to Daesoon Truth in 1917. In addition, the Lord of Dao received a sealed letter from the Supreme God through His younger sister in 1919. She transferred it to the Lord of Dao 10 years after Sangje's passing into Heaven in accordance with His wishes, which is also another piece of evidence verifying the heavenly transmission of the lineage and authority from the Supreme God.
The Orthodox Religious Authority began when the Lord of Dao established the religious body of Mugeukdo in 1925 and enshrined Sangje as Gucheon Eungwon Noeseong Bohwa Cheonjon Kangseong Sangje. This lineage was then inherited by the Holy Leader (Dojeon) Park Wudang as the Lord of Dao spoke his last words.
The Orthodox Religious Authority of Daesoon Jinrihoe is not a mere thing which is given and taken in the conventional sense, but rather it is a profound source of holiness which has been bestowed directly by Heaven.
In general, the ‘Orthodox Religious Authority’ refers to the genealogy or inheritance of a legal tradition in a given religious denomination. In Daesoon Jinrihoe, it is a continuous heavenly endowment that originated from the Supreme God and was later established by the Lord of Dao and inherited by the Holy Leader.
These three Holy Figures had their own unique roles in realizing the Earthly Paradise of Later World. Their main roles were that the Supreme God made designs to realize the Earthly Paradise through The Reordering Works of Heaven and Earth, the Lord of Dao founded the religious body and created the specific methods of spiritual cultivation, ceremonial procedures, and other regulations based upon the Reordering Works, and lastly, the Holy Leader had built many temples and other institutions (such as university and hospitals) for our spiritual practices and had guided all the Dao cohorts along the right path to achieve the aims of Daesoon Jinrihoe based upon the teachings of the two previous Holy Figures: Supreme God and Lord of Dao.
Therefore, there is no further succession in the Orthodox Religious Authority required beyond that of these three Holy Figures (the Supreme God, the Lord of Dao, and the Holy Leader). Furthermore, nobody beyond these three figures could be eligible for the Religious Orthodoxy as it was directly endowed from Heaven according to ‘the Degree Numbers of Heaven and Earth (Cheonji-dosu)’ that could only have been calibrated by the Supreme God.
These three Holy Figures are otherwise known as the ‘Threefold Fountainhead’ as they are the source of all beings and all things in the universe. Hence, only these bequeathed teachings and disciplinary regulations, which are legacies from the Holy Leader, are proper when it comes to guiding all current Dao cohorts in their efforts to achieve the aims of Daesoon Jinrihoe.
History of Threefold Fountainhead
Supreme God of the Ninth Heaven (Guchon Sangje)
Kang Jeungsan (1871~1909)
▪ Upon the plea and petition of the great deities of Heaven and Earth, The ‘Great Creator and Supreme God of the Ninth Heaven (Gucheon Daewon Johwa Jushin) descended to Cheon-gye Tower in ‘the Land of Great Law’ in the West. Here, He made ‘a Great Itineration (Daesoon)’ around the Three Realms of Heaven, Earth, and Humanity.
▪ He spiritually entered a Golden Maitreya Buddha statue and stayed there for thirty years. This statue is enshrined at the Maitreya Hall of Geumsansa Temple at Moak Mountain in North Jeolla Province, Korea.
▪ On September 19, 1871, He was born as a human being in the Kang family in North Jeolla Province. His honorific name was Jeungsan.
▪ From the year 1897 onward, He travelled around the whole country for three years with His great intention and aspiration to save the world.
▪ In July 5, 1901, He opened the Great Dao (Daesoon Truth) through His unremitting efforts accomplished during a 49 day fast at Daewonsa Temple and exercised judgment upon the deities in charge of the Former World.
▪ From 1901 to 1909, He carried out ‘Reordering Works of the Universe’.
▪ Having completed that nine-year duration of those Great Works, the Supreme God passed into heaven on June 24, 1909.